Tuesday, July 17, 2012

2012.07.14 Space Wolves v. Orks

This is my first game of 6th! It was pretty good and definitely showcased a lot of the changes from 5th. I played against a fellow I'd never met before who was pretty chill, though we were all bummed because there was supposed to be a tournament that day but not enough players showed up. It had been a while since I've played--January--so you'll note a lot of bad mistakes both tactical and otherwise.

The Challenger:
Drive me closer so I can hit them with my demolisher cannon.
Logan, the Great Tax

Rifleman Dreadnought x3

5x Wolf Guard x5
- 1x TDA, 1x CML

3x Thunderwolf Cavalry
- 1x Stormshield

Vindicator x3


The Defender:
Did you see his head? KABOOOOOM! Hahahahahaha!

Warboss
-PK

Big Mek
-KFF

19x Boyz
- Big Shootas

20x Boyz
- Rokkits

30x Boyz
- 'Ard Boyz

6x Nob Bikers
-super kit: PK's, cybork bodies, painboy

1x Deff Dread
- 4 DCCW

Warbuggy
- TL Rokkits

Battlewagon x2
- Deff rollas

Looted Wagon

We got dawn of war for our deployment type and the relic as our mission. The relic is the grey stone in the middle of the map. I rolled to go first and ended up deploying like a mong all along my table edge. I put my three dreadnoughts onto the plateau just off camera below, and then evenly spaced out my units along the deployment line. As you'll note, I am still mostly putting units down like I would in 5th with no concern for who is in front.

He put his parking lot in one big cluster, which was awesome for me, with his lootas in the area terrain next to it. The huge squad of 30 boyz and the warboss then deployed in the middle of the map, I'm guessing as a ploy to multi-charge my units.

My opponent rolled and failed to seize.




TURN 1

Note: we forgot to play night fighting the first turn, so all this shooting was getting just KFF cover saves. My vindicators roll up to get shots on his huge mobs, while the wolf guard basically shuffle for line of sight.


This pic kind of says it all: my first vindicator pops a shell at the middle of his deff dread and I manage partials on the battlewagon behind it and the one next door. KFF fails for the first two, and I roll very well for my pens (ordnance rules!). On the damage chart I roll a 5 and 6 respectively, which with the new AP2 means two explodes results. Booya, first blood! The 19 boyz clamber out of the wagon and take seven wounds, making only one save. We forgot to do random allocation on these, but considering how long that would've taken, fuck it. Also forgot to do morale checks on the lootas. Oh well.

So, first shot turn 1 I've just demolished (pun intended) about 250 points of nasty enemy units. I love my vindicators!

The second vindicator turns three lootas to dust, while the collective shooting from cyclones takes a hull point off of the looted wagon, two more lootas and kills one boy from the big ard boyz squad. My dreadnoughts fail to punch through armor and KFF saves.

On his turn he runs everything up, as orks are wont to do. Shooting knicks a couple of wounds from the TWC, while rokkits put 3 pens on my third vindicator from the 'ard boyz. Thankfully all are saved. He then launches his own demolisher shell at Logan, which kills all but one of the power armored wolf guard in the squad along with another in the adjacent squad.




TURN 2

TWC move 6" because I'm still playing 5th, while everyone else either shuffles towards the relic or LOS.


Vindicator Champion Prime takes a shot at the battlewagon but scatters onto the boyz, sucking down another four wounds from the diminished squad. Vindicator 2 takes the champ trophy from #1 as it pops the BW and kills two models from the nearby squad, then takes out 9 boyz from the disembarking unit. Meanwhile, Vindi 3 nails four 'ard boyz but no one notices.


Dreadnoughts take aim at the looted wagon but are mostly stopped by KFF, though one glance gets through but we forget to mark it, so note later that in this match the wagon has effectively 4HP. Wolf Guard packs 1 & 2 punch through the wagons armor to leave it immobilized with its boomgun destroyed, and packs 3-5 do minor damage to boyz squads. TWC fail their charge roll by a couple of inches.

On my opponent's turn, he rolls a 2 for his nob bikers coming in from reserve and declares a WAAAGH!!! Shooting from before the storm whiffs except for a shaken result on a vindicator. Excited about the ensuring WAAAGH!!! he forgets to shoot both his lootas and warbuggy. He does move his Big Mek next to the looted wagon in an attempt to repair, but fails.


The boyz who just lost their ride charge into the TWC, taking 6 wounds, though 3 get saved (!) by boyz. PK puts another wound onto the last TWC, giving them each 1W each now, but they fail leadership and get swept badly. TWC consolidate towards Logan.

Meanwhile, the 'ard boyz have taken to krumping Logan's tiny squad, who forgot to test for counter-attack. My opponent has no nob in the squad, so when he passes on issuing a challenge I do so with my terminator in order to protect Logan from PK attacks. Logan and his power armored buddy then take the fight to the mob, dealing 3 wounds with frost blade attacks. The challenge goes well for me, as I get 1 power maul wound on the warboss--now down to 2--while he gets 2 PK attacks that are both saved by my 5++. Awesome. I win combat 4-0, though at the time I forgot to include the challenge wounds in resolution.



TURN 3

Dreadnoughts take out the warbuggy and the looted wagon's 3rd (4th) hull point. Wolf guard either run towards combat/relic or take out a few more boyz from the unengaged squad.



The cavalry then charges into the fray, with HOW landing a single wound. Logan whips out four from frost blade attacks aided by preferred enemy, and the chump guard with him does nothing. Cavalry disappoint with only two wounds landing out of 15 attacks, but the challenge is a blowout when the terminator lands and wounds with both power maul attacks, leaving the warboss dead and drying in the mid-day sun.

On my opponent's turn, he rolls for reserves again but is blocked by my warlord trait that gives -1 to reserve rolls. In assault, Logan and his squad land only a single wound, while the cavalry pump out three. Sadly, the cavalry die to massed attacks, while Logan's unit saves three of four wounds it's dealt, leaving the power armored fellow dead and drying in the shade of the warboss' corpse.



TURN 4

Non-coms shuffle forward while dreadnoughts take out the last vestiges of the big mek's squad. In assault Logan cranks out four wounds and his buddy another two while they save all that are dealt in return. The boyz finally break.

The nob bikers finally arrive, and Logan takes a wound from pistol shots fired by the fleeing boyz.


The nobs charge and wreck the shit out of the vindicator


TURN 5 & 6

Nob bikers eat their way through a couple squads of wolf guard in an effort to get Logan's unit, which has taken the relic, outside assault range. After they finish their appetizers and start making their towards Logan, who gets bubble-wrapped by another wolf guard squad. Dakkaguns chew off another wound on Logan but assures the survival of the bubble-wrappers.


Vindicators and missiles pop a few wounds off the bikers each turn, though in one funny instance a demolisher cannon scattered on my own guys, killing four. They slowly whittled the squad down, though it went much faster once the painboy died. Dreadnoughts finish the squad off with massed fire and my opponent is tabled.

RESULTS


I hate tabling people, but my opponent seemed intent on getting to Logan's unit for the relic, and I figured there was a chance it might succeed. I finished with 3 points for the relic, 1 point for first blood, 1 point for slay the warlord and no points for linebreaker. Total: 5. My opponent had zero.

I don't really consider this much of a win, because my opponent started rolling to wound Logan as if he were T5 in close combat and I never bothered to check to correct him. I guess only Gay Knights get chapter masters with 5/5/5 statlines. So, my apologies there. I don't feel like this changed a whole lot, as I still had a ton of reach with tanks and all my scoring units.

There were tons of play errors and tactical errors on both sides, but again this was really only a test match for 6th.

Post match thoughts: I really fucking hate this mission. When I read it I thought it would be cool, like playing CTF Warhammer, but in actuality it's quite shit. First, there's no margin for victories because you can only rely on the secondaries, which are designed poorly and simply facile. So, either you massacre or are massacred by your opponent by 3-6 points or you tie because one of you got the relic and the other guy spent the entire game getting secondaries. 

2 comments:

  1. "Note: we forgot to play night fighting the first turn..."

    Hah rookie mistake, I remember my first game of Warhammer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [PP]Calous Endin: Note: we forgot to play night fighting the first turn
      [PP]Calous Endin: noob mistake #1
      [PP]Calous Endin: when you get down here we will teach you how to play, dont worry

      later that day...

      [PP]Calous Endin: we actually have done that everytime in 6th
      [PP]Calous Endin: except for the last game we played

      Delete